[blindkid] kids away from home

Carrie Gilmer carrie.gilmer at gmail.com
Fri Nov 21 14:21:16 UTC 2008

Really great point Heather. I recall Dr. Schroeder's experience when he
first went to teach in New Mexico. At recess all the blind kids were let out
early so they could get to the swings. And they took some ridiculously long
trailing route along the fence. Dr. Schroeder got them on a more direct
route telling by the slope of the ground and such landmarks. He had the
blind kids go out with everyone else, believing they could compete. And they
quickly learned that if they didn't move it they would not get a swing, and
if they did not get a swing it forced them to explore other stuff on the
playground. What happened? The blind kids got out there and got to the
swings about as often as the sighted kids.

 In middle school Jordan was one blind kid in 1500 students, in high school
one in 3,000. Lunch is competitive to get to certain lines before they run
out. He had to learn strategies to get to the line he wanted early enough.

If we don't give them chances to compete, and /or develop strategies (which
may include "Hey! Wait for me!"), they never will develop them.

Carrie Gilmer, President
A Division of the National Federation of the Blind
NFB National Center: 410-659-9314
Home Phone: 763-784-8590
carrie.gilmer at gmail.com
www.nfb.org/nopbc