[blindkid] identifying yourself

Jan Wright jan.wrightfamily5 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 22 14:00:52 UTC 2008

First, Kala,
I have had some of the same experiences as Lily: in my own family, nonetheless.
In fact, they thought that I could tell who they were, not by their voice, but by the touch of their hand. So, they would come up to me, say *nothing* and just give me their hand and think that I should say: "Hi Aunt Pat," or "It is Uncle Bob." And, Pat and Bob lived in Virginia, so I ... maybe... saw them once a year.
How embarrassing.
My family swears that I could do it when I was a small child.
I think not!
And, I still get the voice thing from time to time.
I have managed to look clueless.
They will say:
"Hi Jan." and if they really do want a good response, they hear my voice say "Hello" with no real feeling or with a question mark in my expression.
I use to be embarrassed to admit that I did not know who someone was.
Now, I just tell them that
My gift is not voices. I don't remember everyone's voice: afterall, I hear so many.
Noteably, there are some blind people who can tell others by their voices.
They remember each and every voice.
And, the movies don't help.
If they grumble about it, I remind them that we are all different.
I don't sing like Stevie and I don't remember every voice.
I try, though.
And, those voices that I hear on a regular basis, those I  can identify.
I jokingly challenge them to communicate with me more, if they want me to miraculously identify their voice.
But, when they come up and say: "Do you know who I am?" I just say: "nope, I don't have a clue."
Sometimes, it is a good idea for people to introduce theirselves.
when I go to church and sit around a table with many people, I would like to know who is there.
But, it is not because I can't remember anyone's voice or because I want to catalog their voice in my brain so that I will never forget it.
It is because:
1. I want to know who is all there. Many times people are in the room and I didn't even realize that they are there because they don't say anything. Also, if I do want to speak to someone, it gives me a clue of where they are in the room.
and
2. if I am new to the discussion: then, introducing one's self is appropriate.
For a while, I had to take attendance at a group and I had to know who was in the room and who came in late.
It is different if you are going to engage yourself in a discussion or if the group is just a collective body that is not going to interact much.
And, if you say:
"Can we introduce ourselves for all of the newcomers," then, it is not a blind thing -- just a newcomer thing.

But, that "amazing blind person," just rears its ugly head when everyone thinks that blind people can tell who you are by:
the way you walk,
your voice,
your purfume, etc.
I am not saying that purfume or a certain type of shoe does not give you clues.
But, honestly, I am just not that "amazing."
(smile)

Jan and family