[blindkid] FW: [nabs-l] experiment to make map info online accessible--pleaseparticipate!

Carrie Gilmer carrie.gilmer at gmail.com
Tue Nov 25 16:07:50 UTC 2008

On Behalf Of Thomas, Kavita E
Sent: Tuesday, November 25, 2008 7:15 AM
To: nabs-l at nfbnet.org
Subject: [nabs-l] experiment to make map info online
accessible--pleaseparticipate!

Hello,
We're developing a prototype system which takes numerical data found on maps
online (like census data) and communicates it as texts so that it's
accessible to the blind and VI community.
I'm running a final experiment now to find out which texts are most
preferred by blind and VI users so that we can implement these in our
system, and so I was hoping that you might participate if you're blind or
severely visually-impaired. The experiment takes on average half an hour and
it's online, so you can do it whenever is best for you, though it needs to
be done all in one sitting without taking breaks or pauses in the middle.
It's also quite repetitive, as you'll be listening to 10 texts and answering
questions about each of them, but your participation will really make a
difference and help us to produce texts which make the most sense to blind
and VI users in general. Please forward this on to anyone else who you think
might be
willing to participate. The website to go to to take the experiment is:
http://www.csd.abdn.ac.uk/~tkavita/Experiments/RefFrame/
Thanks very much,
Dr Kavita Thomas
the Atlas.txt project: www.csd.abdn.ac.uk/research/atlas