[blindkid] IEP

Stacy Lemmon slemmonrn at spotlight-music.com
Tue Nov 25 19:06:51 UTC 2008

Doreen~

Oh, we have walked this path. Our daughter has a congenital eye anomaly...she is not blind, but it is likely degenerative. She just turned 5 last week. My concern was as the years progressed and the print got smaller in school, she would not be able to keep up, and with her nystagmus she would tucker out.  They REFUSED Braille instruction, we had several meetings where I left crying.  I had someone from the NFB go with us...how quickly the story changed. It turned in to "what goals do you want on her IEP?". It was so frustrating and degrading to us.  We were deemed uneducated and easy targets...not any more.

Adison uses a cane, that we did not have to fight for, our TVI started her at age 3. She does fairly well with it.

Keep up the good fight. I'm always on the defensive and I will not shed any more tears over those yahoos at the IU or school district.

Hang in,
Stacy