[blindkid] IEP / update

Kim Cunningham kim at gulfimagesphoto.com
Wed Nov 26 21:21:28 UTC 2008

Doreen,
I'm glad to hear that you are working with the district to meet your daughter's needs. I would like for you to re-think the issue of the cane. You can order a cane from the NFB website. Put it in a place where she can get it whenever she wants. Allow her to get used to how it feels. You can allow her to take it outside and tap objects for identification. You could also tell her about the different sounds the cane makes when she taps the grass, or a tree, or a sidewalk...Make the cane fun for her and she'll realize how beneficial it will be as she grows.
Just my two cents.
Happy Thanksgiving,
Kim Cunningham