[blindkid] Seeking advice: blind daughter intentionally excluded from birthday party

Kieszak, Stephanie (CDC/CCEHIP/NCEH) sek7 at cdc.gov
Wed Oct 29 12:32:27 UTC 2008

Oops, I accidentally hit send before I wrote my reply.  I was trying to
explain what has worked for us in the past.  At the start of each school
year, we invite Kendra's entire class (plus parents and siblings) over
for a party.  That way they get to meet us, we get to meet them, and
they get to see Kendra being a typical kid.  This year, we had a pool
party in September for her 6th birthday.  Out of a class of 18, only 3
kids didn't come (and all 3 had good reasons).  So far, we haven't had a
problem with her being excluded from things and I think a big part of
the reason is because we make a real effort to get to know the other
families and to have them know Kendra.  Another suggestion is to
schedule as many playdates as possible with classmates. I know that's
easier said than done with everyone's schedules!  Maybe the other family
just assumed Milagro wouldn't have fun at the birthday party because
they haven't had a chance to "see her in action".  I remember when
Kendra was in her second year of Montessori school, one of the parents
specifically asked me if Kendra would be okay at that type of party.
There was no malice; she just didn't know if a blind child would be
comfortable in that type of setting.  That little girl, 3 years later,
is still one of Kendra's best friends.
Good luck to both of you!
Stephanie