[blindkid] Aubrie and state/CRCT testing

Carol Castellano carol_castellano at verizon.net
Thu Apr 30 19:22:40 UTC 2009

I understand the feeling of not caring about the standardized
tests--sometimes we have so much to deal with on a daily basis, that
we have to pick our battles.  I would say, tho, that state  testing
is an important issue and we should not let our kids be placed in
lower classes because of discriminatory tests.  It really is
something we need to address.

Are there enough parents in your state to start working on the
issue?  When we did some work on it in NJ, we started with finding
out who did the brailling for the state and whether or not there was
anyone informed on the issues checking the tests.  We also tried to
educate the state regarding what kind of accommodations are necessary
and fair.  My feeling is if even the College Board (which administers
the SATs) could come to its senses regarding accommodations, that
states can, also.  It does take time, energy, and work, tho.

Carol