[blindkid] Question about regulations for Braille signage

David Andrews dandrews at visi.com
Thu Aug 20 02:59:39 UTC 2009

The ADA calls for signs to be at 60 inches as I recall, don't know if
there are different rules for elementary schools.  Signs would have
been required in any new building built after early 1990's, and for
existing buildings they would have had to come up with a plan to
increase accessibility, and if they did any major updating or
alterations since 1990, would have had to come to code then.  So, 19
years after the ADA, it should have been done by now.

It is in ADA, Title II I think although I am rusty on this
stuff.  Back when it passed the NFB got a technical assistance grant
from the Dept. of Justice, and I spent my days answering questions on
Braille signage.  That was a long time ago though.

Dave