[blindkid] Unable to Read or Write, New High School Graduate Details Struggle

Freeh, Jessica JFreeh at nfb.org
Tue Aug 25 21:49:28 UTC 2009

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:

Chris Danielsen

Director of Public Relations

National Federation of the Blind

(410) 659-9314, extension 2330

(410) 262-1281 (Cell)

<mailto:cdanielsen at nfb.org>cdanielsen at nfb.org

Unable to Read or Write, New High School Graduate Details Struggle

Baltimore, Maryland (August 25, 2009): Denzel
Ferges graduated from high school on June 6.  But
when he was asked to address a gathering of
students on July 29, he had to memorize his
speech rather than reading it.  Denzel does not
have enough vision to read print effectively, and
he was not taught to read Braille.  For all
practical purposes, he graduated from high school unable to read.

  “I wish that I could be reading my remarks to
you in Braille, but I am not able to do so
because I was not given the opportunity to learn
Braille in school,” Ferges told an audience of
two hundred blind students and their mentors
gathered for the National Federation of the Blind
Youth Slam, a summer science academy for blind
high school students.  “So with that being said,
I have to seek further training to learn Braille
and other important blindness skills.”

Denzel is not alone.  In fact, nine out of ten
blind children in America’s public schools do not
know and are not being taught how to read and
write using Braille.  But reading Braille,
especially when learned at an early age, is just
as effective as reading print.  Braille is also
the only system that allows blind people to write
and to read what they have written with speed and
efficiency.  That is why the National Federation
of the Blind wants to make sure that young people
like Denzel graduate from high school with the
ability to read and write, and that every blind
child in America and every adult losing vision is
given the opportunity to learn Braille.  But
blind Americans need your help to address the crisis in Braille literacy.

Congress authorized the minting in 2009 of
400,000 Louis Braille Bicentennial Silver Dollars
to mark the two-hundredth anniversary of the
birth of Louis Braille (1809–1852) and to support
the efforts of the National Federation of the
Blind­the nation’s leading advocate for
Braille­to promote literacy among blind
Americans.  This unique and beautiful
commemorative coin is the first U.S. currency to
feature tactile, readable Braille.  These coins
will no longer be available after December 31,
2009.  Today the National Federation of the Blind
is kicking off a national campaign in which its
affiliates in each state (plus the District of
Columbia and Puerto Rico) and over seven hundred
local chapters will sell 100,000 coins by
November 1, 2009.  A portion of the money from
sales of the 2009 Louis Braille Bicentennial
Silver Dollar will be used to support the NFB’s
“Braille Readers are Leaders” campaign, a
national initiative created to double the number
of blind children learning Braille by 2015,
improve certification standards for teachers of
Braille, and conduct innovative programs to support Braille literacy.

Dr. Marc Maurer, President of the National
Federation of the Blind, said: “The Braille
Readers are Leaders literacy campaign and the
sale of these beautiful Louis Braille silver
dollars are among the most important initiatives
the National Federation of the Blind has ever
undertaken.  The education of tens of thousands
of blind children across the nation and the
successful rehabilitation of adults who are
losing vision depend on our success.  We are
asking all Americans to help us in ensuring
literacy, education, productivity, and success
for every blind American by purchasing a Louis
Braille Bicentennial Silver Dollar today.”

Those interested in ordering a Louis Braille
Bicentennial Silver Dollar should visit
<http://www.braille.org./>www.braille.org or call
1-800-USA-MINT (872-6468).  For more information
about the National Federation of the Blind and
the Braille Readers are Leaders campaign, visit
<http://www.braille.org/>www.braille.org.

###

With more than 50,000 members, the National
Federation of the Blind is the largest and most
influential membership organization of blind
people in the United States.  The NFB improves
blind people’s lives through advocacy, education,
research, technology, and programs encouraging
independence and self-confidence.  It is the
leading force in the blindness field today and
the voice of the nation's blind.  In January 2004
the NFB opened the National Federation of the
Blind Jernigan Institute, the first research and
training center in the United States for the blind led by the blind.