[blindkid] question re shopping assistance

holly miller hollym12 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 16:22:46 UTC 2009

I sometimes hesitate to throw in my two cents on issues we haven't had to
deal with yet because my son is only 9.  I know I don't have the full
perspective so I worry that I may come across as ignorant.  That doesn't
always stop me though LOL!

Here's what I'm wondering.
What exactly was requested and refused?

In my haven't been there yet mind, there's a difference between "I'm blind
and I need someone to wander around the store with me while I shop" and "I'd
like to buy the medium sized purple widget your store carries, is there
someone who could help me locate that?"

I think the original poster said her son had a list so I'm not saying his
scenario is the first one, just opening it up for conversation.
At a store like Nieman Marcus, you'd probably get a warmer reception to the
first request.  They also charge prices reflective of that.  Places like
Sears or Walmart simply aren't staffed for that level of service.  Perhaps
the way around that would be to call ahead of time, speak to a manager and
ask if you could make an appointment.  I'm pretty sure even the high end
stores ask you to make an appointment for that type of service.

Thinking out loud
Holly