[blindkid] IEP goal/objective help needed

Richard Holloway rholloway at gopbc.org
Fri Dec 18 04:42:13 UTC 2009

Your situation sounds very frustrating and complicated. I'm sure we' d
all agree it is safe to assume that the doctor's measurements are
generally going to be much more accurate than what a school can come
up with, especially with the wide variety of different situations
where low vision is concerned. The school /  team should also realize
this--

Every case is so different that you probably really do need an IEP
team to figure out all of the particulars-- I think I'd want to
consult with all the team again to try and find a new direction, but
also to make a point of focusing the vision services and any O & M
discussions  (especially for this next meeting) on what your child's
vision actually is as compared to what was previously (and apparently
erroneously) determined to be. If possible, focus more on what you
have to work with as opposed to the previous error.

My best guess is that with her vision being what it apparently is,
you're going to want to focus a lot more on nonvisual techniques in a
lot of cases, and the good news about that approach is it no longer
matters for the purposes of IEP's how much vision may or may not be
available. I'm not discounting her residual vision at all, but I
cannot imagine getting productive results with print reading in such a
situation and her history would seem to support that assumption so far.

You may get some great suggestions from others with similar situations
here on this listserv but you're going to have the best results if you
can get your team to recommend as many of the probable changes as
possible, then you can follow up with any remaining "missing"
suggestions as you can.

The other really important thing to remember since there is a history
of concerns and this seems to be sort of last minute as far as the new
information-- you don't have to sign the IEP if things can't be
straightened this time around, and even if you do decide it is
appropriate to sign, you can call for a fresh IEP again whenever you
feel it is needed.

I wish you al the best of luck in improving your situation.

Richard