[blindkid] Braille writer

Bonnie Lucas lucas.bonnie at gmail.com
Wed Feb 4 16:39:43 UTC 2009

I did not start using the Braille writer until I was six because my parents
did not take me to the blind school until I was six. We lived in a very
rural location and in those days there was no such thing as early childhood
intervention. I weighed 40 lb and I still remember that it was very hard to
press the keys and at first I was frustrated. However, with consistent
practice and encouragement from my teachers, I learned to write. We were
rewarded with a ccandy bar for writing our first and last name. My daugher,
Aubrie, has only used the perkins, the one I won in fourth grade in 1965, to
learn to write with and she has done fine. Encourage just pressing any key
and making dots at first. then just have your little one write one dot at a
time and make a whole line of that one dot.  the finger strength will
eventually be built up. Remember, that for a sighted child to learn to form
letters, it takes litterally hundreds of hours of scribbling. Best of luck.
Bonnie Lucas