[blindkid] presentation suggestions

trising at sbcglobal.net trising at sbcglobal.net
Sat Feb 7 16:39:06 UTC 2009

There have been a few messages about doing presentations to expose kids to
blindness. I have had some opportunities recently to do this. In Texas last
week, I talked to several classes of first and second graders. I read them a
book called Mandy Sue day in Braille about a blind girl and her horse. I
also showed my cane and answered questions. I also talked to about 12 fourth
grade classes at another school. I answered questions and  read a book
called Mom Can't See Me from the perspective of a nine year old with a blind
mom. Here in Ann Arbor, Center for Independent Living has been having me
volunteer at work shops that expose local fourth graders to different
disabilities. I read a few pages of a story in Braille, then help them make
their initials on the Perkins Brailler and again with candy dots. I think
both myself and the kids have enjoyed our time together.