[blindkid] band competitions

Bonnie Lucas lucas.bonnie at gmail.com
Sun Feb 8 21:49:49 UTC 2009

Debby,

After teaching aubrie the basics, something anyone who knows Braille can do,
then the band book discussed new signs as they came along. I don't know if
that was just a kind thing that the transcriber did or what. I guess it
would have to be. The series that this district uses is called "Standard of
Excellence." If someone were to teach her the basics, and I do mean basics,
if that is the book they use, then additional information is given in the
book. At first, there were just a couple of things that Aubrie asked me
about, at the beginning of 6th grade but I have not had to help her figure
out anything this year. Also, if there is a sign that a student doesn't
know, there are plenty of people who know Braille music who could answer
questions and help the child continue learning. aubrie just informed me that
this book is used more for beginners than anything else. she says that this
year they mostly use it for sight reading.
I'd also like to mention that the music Aubrie has used this year in band,
including another book, "Foundations for Superior Performance," has had to
be transcribed. Her TVI does not know a thing about Braille music and at
this point there really isn't any reason for her to learn. I guess that's
what we have just decided to do on our own. I realize that I am at an
advantage because Braille is such a part of my life. However, I had not even
attempted to read Braille music for 25 years. Truly, it makes so much sense
when you learn it that it just isn't as hard as one might expect it to be.
Aubrie is much faster than I ever was as a girl because I didn't have people
pushing me to become good at it.
Please let me know if I can be of help to anyone who wants to get their
child going on music reading.

Bonnie Lucas