[blindkid] Braille to Speak at National Convention?

Peter Donahue pdonahue1 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jan 4 18:38:24 UTC 2009

Hello Carrie and listers,
    I wonder if Dr. Maurer invited Lewis Braille to speak to us at this
years national convention? Through the disciplines of acting, impersonation,
perhaps some time travel, we could all have the chance to meet the gentlemen
whom we owe our ability to read to. It would be interesting to "Hear" what
he would say about how Braille is being used today and share his views on
the Braille Literacy crisis. Of course it would be speculative. Perhaps he
could offer us his ideas on how to address it from his perspective.

    I was once at a business conference where Teddy Roosevelt "Spoke" to the
group on freedom and free enterprise. General Patton "Came' to this same
conference a year later to address commitment and family values. They were
impersonated so well that you'd think the real Teddy Roosevelt and George
Patton were speaking. So why not "Invite" Lewis Braille to serve as the
Grand Martial for this year's March for Independence and to address us at
the national convention. We pride ourselves on imagining possibilities so
why not make it happen.

Peter Donahue