[blindkid] Passing on a Middle Schooler's Convention Inquiry

Carrie Gilmer carrie.gilmer at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 14:12:06 UTC 2009

Dear Bonnie and all,

Please do not worry. There will be changes and modifications this year, so
going off other years strictly you will not be worried accurately-smile.
There will be some good ol' things and some entirely new things.

The teen girl time (if we have it) will likely center on more like hair-do's
fashion make-up and fitting in, and anyway that is only a small piece for
the teen track.

Nothing at all is in concrete yet as I don't even know what, when, rooms we
will get. We will welcome also 13 or even 14 year olds into the middle
school group if the teen activity seems more mature than they are, we will
also welcome mature nine years olds. I will be open working with you to get
the best combination as we can for your child so they have a great
experience.  The only "division" that is strict and will stay is the teens
are teens-meaning minimum 13. Some of the activities I am hoping to group in
workshops k-6 and 7-12 for grade level.

So please all be patient, have a positive outlook, and wait until I announce
the agenda--then you can worry for real, but my hope and efforts are to give
you nothing to worry about-only to excitedly expect. Obviously I cannot
tailor the whole conference to each individual, but we have always and will
continue to do everything we can to make sure everyone gets information,
fun, and opportunity to meet their own needs.

Best Regards,

Carrie Gilmer, President
A Division of the National Federation of the Blind
NFB National Center: 410-659-9314
Home Phone: 763-784-8590
carrie.gilmer at gmail.com
www.nfb.org/nopbc