[blindkid] Leaving classes early

Mark Feliz felizfamily5 at msn.com
Sat Jan 24 20:38:56 UTC 2009

Hello Sally:

In my mind there are certain physical conditions which would justify a
student leaving a class early. For example, if a student has walking
difficulties but chooses to walk then a decision may have to be made as to
missing the last five minutes or the first five minutes of a class. However,
on the basis of blindness alone, no, there is no justification for leaving
early--not even for bus reasons. I have worked with my blind students and
their parents so they can feel comfortable and successfully nigotiate with
transportation. Transportation has always backed down and will not require
my student to be on the bus five or ten minutes before class lets out.
Holding your child accountable as well as teach self-management and personal
responsibility. I do agree with a permanent hall pass. It greatly saves time
when your student requires to print work. Unfortunately or fortunately blind
people, whether students or adults, are teachers themselves. We are teachers
to the public and to our peers. This is a 24/7 opportunity. Your student's
peers will notice if he is told to sit at the front of the class, or he can
leave five minutes early, or he doesn't need to do an assignment because it
might be too visual, or--well, you get the message. All of this is not set
in stone, just food for thought. Good luck to your student.

Mark Feliz

HAPPY DOTS BRAILLE SERVICES

First Vice-PRESIDENT, NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND OF ARIZONA
EAST VALLEY CHAPTER

1038 WEST HILLVIEW STREET
MESA, ARIZONA  85201

VOICE: 480-890-8943