[blindkid] Leaving classes early

Carrie Gilmer carrie.gilmer at gmail.com
Sun Jan 25 17:14:49 UTC 2009

This is good Carol, and Jordan has done this too. My thing I am trying to
get home is that sometimes this will work and sometimes not--what will they
do when it doesn't work. Lately there has been discussion on the student
list about a professor that would not allow his lectures to be tape recorded
because he was afraid it might get on the internet. We have had refusal of
class lists because of privacy laws. While you might fight it through and
win for reasonable things--there is still the fight and what do you do in
the meantime while the rest of the class or your co-workers are going
forward?

When Jordan was in second grade his accommodations included special
lighting, special writing (large, bold, block) by the teacher, special
seating, special space, identifying, special chances to move and walk up to
the board or to look at things close, special descriptions, extra time,
special safety and exit plans, peer buddies, (all this was given freely by
the blindness professionals-BUT NOT ANY NON-VISUAL) etc. etc., I can hardly
believe it looking back. And some, but MOST not, WERE NEEDED early on as a
young child to get him LEARNING...but I needed help weeding out what was
truly needed and what was nice, and what was I thought nice but really
potentially harmful in the end.

THANK GOD I found the NFB. I learned that in a college lecture hall or
business meeting they were not going to fiddle with the lights for him,
reserve him a special seat every time, feel they had to let him record or
get everyone's names, get him special space or equipment, be his designated
helper reliably and without resentment, give him extra time, allow him to
move close to view, take time to make sure the description was adequate,
change the way they wrote or spoke or gave out materials or even provide
accessible materials or change where they met if it was convenient or not,
maybe or not provide readers or drivers and so he learned to live without
these things or how to get them himself and the "others" did not even
realize what he had to do-he just showed up or turned his thing in like
everyone else-that is what they expect and you know what all the non-visual
was more efficient and more socially acceptable and now he knows what to do
and get it done when all goes wrong and he knows how to use every tool in
the box and at what time and how to switch if the best tool and even second
best is not available.

Carrie Gilmer, President
A Division of the National Federation of the Blind
NFB National Center: 410-659-9314
Home Phone: 763-784-8590
carrie.gilmer at gmail.com
www.nfb.org/nopbc