[blindkid] Playground strategies for low-vision 5 yr. old

Brandy with Discovery Toys branlw at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jan 25 22:36:59 UTC 2009

Hi, I would encourage your daughter to take her cane to recess. I'd also
have someone help her be comfortable with the playground when students
aren't on the playground and then again when it is crowded. Some of the
skills you are seeking are social and will developed over time with good
role models and normal life experiences. I have taught blind children after
they know the playground to keep their cane with them. They can leave it at
the bottom of a play structure while they play.

This all being said I'm blind and loved playgrounds! My mom took me to parks
from a very young age. I also had opportunities to make friends outside of
school as I participated in clubs such as girl scouts and it taught me to
make friends. I often made a few good friends and I was content with playing
with them. I also found things I enjoyed and others joined me. I loved
sidewalk chalk. (I had some usable sight then more than I have now.) Jumping
rope hula hooping etc.

Hope this helps.

Bran

"We all have our time machines. Some take us back, they're called memories.
Some take us forward, they're called dreams."
Jeremy Irons

Brandy Wojcik
Discovery Toys Group Manager and Educational Consultant

Shop online any time!
www.playtoachieve.com
(512) 231-8697

Let me know if I can help with any of the following:
* Starting your own Discovery Toys business
* Best buy bundles allow you to shop at a discount year round
* How you can earn toys for free
* Gift baskets for all ages
* Gift certificates
* Office setups and much more