[blindkid] Getting around school

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Mon Jan 26 05:12:56 UTC 2009

I'll think of something! (hasr)

Mike

----- Original Message -----
From: "Carrie Gilmer" <carrie.gilmer at gmail.com>
Sent: Sunday, January 25, 2009 6:54 PM
Subject: Re: [blindkid] Getting around school

Dear Susan,
I had to chuckle at the memory of once weighing Jordan's Braille volumes
for
some teachers of blind students. It was all POOR JORDAN has to carry
those
HEAVY BULKY BRAILLE books...but the CCTV on a cart or heavy large print
would have been okay! So I weighed and yes the volumes he used weighed
less
than the regular print high school and middle school books of the
sighted
kids, never mind large print. They stopped making the comments.

But yeah my sighted daughter's bag is heavier or as heavy as Jordan's,
but
he often carries two bags. BUT as I said she has been carrying
everything,
we have been working on downsizing her too. Read any general parent
magazine
and you can likely find an article on heavy backpacks and health it has
become so common. I wanted a rolling backpack for her but in middle
school
that is NOT cool I guess. I have seen some students at the high school
use
one. Jordan has special permission to carry a bag because of the
expensive
technology-since Columbine for security I guess, no middle or high
school in
our district allows any bags to class either.

And to dear old Mike, my grandfather used to be picked up in the country
in
Minnesota by a horse drawn wagon and the teacher would have put hot
bricks
in the wagon and the students would huddle and put their feet on the
brick
(if it was still warm) and go the miles to school in an open wagon,
under
thin blankets...sorry Mike I couldn't help myself...smile, you can get
me
back now.

It sounds like Jason is really coming along-I am excited to see him this
summer! Good job Mom!

Carrie Gilmer, President
A Division of the National Federation of the Blind
NFB National Center: 410-659-9314
Home Phone: 763-784-8590
carrie.gilmer at gmail.com
www.nfb.org/nopbc