[blindkid] school placement told if I want an aid have to go a special school

L W mama2sally at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 25 00:43:24 UTC 2009

Help needed Please.  Registered the girls for school today and was told if I wanted Joli to have a classroom aid she would have to go to the school with a special education unit because if the local school that Joli would normally attend can't meet Joli's needs they will sent her to the school with special ed needs center. Can they legally do that? The school with the special ed center is the school with the worst academic record in our area, and we bought this house because the school it feeds into is so good. So it would make me angry if J couldnt even go there. Also it would mean she and Sally would be going to different schools. Mama not happy! Anybody know how I can get Joli the services she needs without sending away from her local school? For those that don't know Joli is legally blind and has dyslexia. We are in Carroll County Maryland.
Thanks,
Lauren