[blindkid] school placement told if I want an aid have to go aspecial school

DrV icdx at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 26 05:45:17 UTC 2009

Hi Lauren,
Aides are used in the "regular" school setting with a wide variety of kids,
ranging from autism to behavior problems to blindness & for a host of other
reasons.
The use of aides is common-place.
I suggest finding out if the district uses aides for any of the kids in that
particular school or district - I would be quite surprised if there truly
were no aides providing support for any of the students in a mainstreamed
classroom nowadays.
As Joy mentions, if the IEP team determines that an aide is what is needed
to make it work for a given child, then the aide must be provided.
It would be a very good idea to find out ahead of time who will be at the
meeting & to request that someone with decision-making authority at the
district level, such as the district Special Ed director, participate in the
meeting.
The diagnoses of legal blindness & dyslexia should not mean a child has to
attend a special school with a "special ed center".
Many legally blind students & many dyslexic students attend regular
classrooms all over the country with or without the additional support of
aides.
Good luck,
Eric V