[blindkid] Schools for the Blind vs. Education in Public SchoolSystems

Merry-Noel Chamberlain owinm at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 26 11:27:16 UTC 2009

Tina,
Just because 'they' are a 'vision program' does not ensure that the student will get enough braille reading and math.  I've been a TVI for several years and have discovered that some staff (including principals) at some schools for the blind still think that if a child has enough vision then they can use CCTVs or just enlarging the print is good enough.  I know that's shocking - but true.  I've even known them to enlarge the enlarged books at some schools or the blind!  Plus, I've seens boxes in the storage room full of abacus' (Is it "abacui" if there is more than one?) - an abacus graveyard - where even at a school for the blind they are not teaching the abacus to blind children!  Some blind graduates are leaving the school not knowing Braille because someone somewhere in his past said he couldn't do it because he only had one working hand!  That is so wrong!  So, I'm speaking not only as a TVI (who happens to be legally blind) and also as a
 parent of a blind child -- even if your child attends a school for the blind - please, please, please stay on top of it to make sure your child IS getting the services he/she needs in the alternative skills of blindness.

Merry-Noel Chamberlain, TVI, NOMCT
Virginia School for the Deaf and the Blind