[blindkid] Pre-braille?

Carrie Gilmer carrie.gilmer at gmail.com
Sun Mar 8 22:31:33 UTC 2009

Dear Marie,
Consider that your child is like a house or a building to be built. This is
how I look at it. When building a house or building the foundation comes
first, then the walls, then the ceiling comes last. For many children with
disabilities people seem to want to put the ceiling on first. This takes
away all creativity. I resist this in a visceral way.

So, the foundation for your son is reading readiness and reading skills and
tactile reading and tactile skills and developing his sense of touch and
being able to distinguish by touch. This is foundational and a minimum to
build the walls of all he can possibly learn. We don't want to say yet it
can't be done--we want to find a WAY(s) for HIM that is best to definitely
get that foundation.

In the hand strength things you describe I have no personal expertise. Some
of us do. I will pass on to some I know and others will answer here likely
too. But one thing I know is that the strength and dexterity required for
the hands for Braille has to do more with the writing of it than the actual
reading of it. Yet you want to strengthen that in him as much as possible.
And in creativity and in the reading of it I can tell you that it has been
done for those with poor or no tactile sensitivity in the fingertips-I know
two persons who have read Braille with their tongues. I am sure if a child
had no arms or hands Braille could be read with the toes. This is what I
mean by no ceiling first. Where there is a will there is a way. People get
creative when there is a will.

Maybe for writing the Mountbatten will be an answer and not the slate and
stylus or the Perkins. Google Mountbatten Braillewriter. Or maybe there will
be something else.

Others here whose children have had poor hand strength and fine motor have
found the Mountbatten to work. Maybe there is something else yet to be
discovered for Jack, I do not know. Just don't let them deter you or deter
yourself because of his weakness there.

Our famous Dr. Jernigan used to say to your final question...
"How do you eat an elephant?"
"One bite at a time."

Carrie Gilmer, President
A Division of the National Federation of the Blind
NFB National Center: 410-659-9314
Home Phone: 763-784-8590
carrie.gilmer at gmail.com
www.nfb.org/nopbc