[blindkid] Braille reading speed

Kasondra Payne kassyp36 at msn.com
Mon Mar 9 06:30:50 UTC 2009

Hi Everyone,

I am so tired of blind kids being told that Braille is necessarily slow and difficult.  I was told that like a lot of other kids in the '80s.  I think my teachers were trying to help b ecause of my additional disability.  I have cerebral palsy, so I have almost no use of my left hand and I need to wear a brace on my left leg to make me walk properly.  I can only read with my right hand, and for most of my childhood, I only read with my right index finger.  I had vi teachers work with me on reading, but nobody acted confident that I would ever read very fast.  I used tapes a lot in high school, but I found them to be cumbersome with all the rewinding and fast forwarding.

My outlook changed after I joined the NFB the summer before my senior year in high school.  Everyone told me that I could read faster, but I needed to practice.  I attended BLIND, Inc., the NFB training center in Minnesota, and I practiced my speed all the time.  I don;t remember how fast I was when I finished the program, but I was on the right track.

I attended a small broadcasting school after I graduated from the center.  I read all the time.  I received at least ten Braille magazines a month from NLS.  I embossed sixty Braille pages of news copy almost every day.  I always had magazines and books with me.  My reading speed increased as I read to prepare my daily shows.  I got to the point that I could read over 150 words a minute, which is pretty fast for having only one hand.  It really helped that I read aloud a lot.

Yes, I could have read faster if I hhad the use of both hands.  The attitude was the most important thing for me.  I had mentors and friends always around me encouraging me as I wourked to increase my reading speed.  I wish I had blind mentors to encourage me with Braille when I was younger, but that is something that my blind children have now.  I wish I had the time to read constantly now, like I did twelve years ago.  I am back in school, and I have a family, so I am busy.  I still read as much as I can, but I am not as fast as I used to be.  I know that I could be that fast again, if I worked on it.  Braille is so important for literacy for blind people.  If you want to be a better reader, then read.  You can do it.  Thank you for reading this long post.  Good luck!

Kasondra Payne