[blindkid] Braille reading speed

Patricia Renfranz dblair2525 at msn.com
Tue Mar 10 02:04:09 UTC 2009

Our IEP team has been looking into this issue and for a reliable source of
such data. From what I understand, the available data suffer from too small
of a sample size and including kids with different levels of Braille
training. The lack of data does not, however, preclude having IEP goals to
address fluency. We are utilizing our state's guidelines for oral and silent
reading, as well as 2006 Hasbrouck and Tindal Oral Reading Fluency Data.

The more difficult part of this is what interventions to try to increase
Braille reading fluency. There is a lack of published data for this as well.
We are essentially using techniques designed for sighted print readers, such
as common word lists and repetitive readings, and are also trying to
encourage the use of "better technique," also not well-defined.

I would love to see a study done of Braille readers at the Braille
Challenge. These kids are some of the best Braille readers in the country.
What is the average reading rate, oral and silent, with comprehension, of
these kids given grade-level material? How does that correspond with
academic achievement? What technique(s) do these kids use?

It may not provide a guideline, in that we still wouldn't know their
possible max rates, but at least we could then make some comparison with the
print reading fluency data, and see the limits of current instructional
techniques.

Just my thoughts,
Pat

dblair2525 at msn.com