[blindkid] Putting pressure on the school district

holly miller hollym12 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 15:18:51 UTC 2009

Ok, this is the letter I just sent to the district caseworker, cc'ing the
sp-ed director and school superintendent.

Wonder how long before the phone rings?

Dear Dr. M,

As you know, at Hank's October 1, 2008 IEP meeting I requested that Hank
receive
Braille instruction. As of today's date, Hank is still not receiving Braille
instruction as is required by law.

On February 18, 2009 a meeting was held at my request to discuss my concerns
that Hank had not been receiving instruction in Braille as well as the
issues
with additional assistive equipment and staff training that was needed but
had
not been provided. At said meeting it was agreed upon that Ms. S TVI
would provide the information regarding starting Hank on Braille instruction
within two weeks of said meeting. This coincided with Hank's Annual IEP
review
meeting scheduled for March 3, 2009.

Unfortunately, due to the weather the District had to cancel the March 3rd
meeting. In response to my email on March 11, Ms. D informed me that a
new date had not been determined yet. Hank's IEP review due date is April 2,
the meeting will be scheduled sometime prior to that date.

Even though the meeting was canceled, I am assuming Ms. S has provided
the District with the necessary information and that instruction in Braille
can
be started immediately. If I am wrong in my assumption, please contact me
immediately.

Please place a copy of this letter in Hank's permanent file.

Sincerely,
Holly Miller

hard copy to follow