[blindkid] SMARTboard

Carrie Gilmer carrie.gilmer at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 20:02:40 UTC 2009

As far as I have been able to tell a smart board is loved by sighted kids or
those with low vision enough to functionally really use it. It is not
accessible with JAWS and would not convert to the BrailleNote in our
experience.

It is like having the old projector with the plastic film and the teacher
handwrites or the regular old blackboard where the teacher writes--only now
it is interactive and like a giant touch screen and any pictorial or text or
entered data can be put up, I don't know if the strict text could be hooked
up and make sense translated to the BrailleNote as it is I don't but I don't
think so because it is picture files not text files which is why it does not
work with JAWS.

It has gotten very popular and I think a rampant rise in the use of them
will occur as well as many other of this type of things. I predict these
2009 kindergarteners are actually the last generation in the USA to have
paper textbooks k-12. There is much to come with accessibility issues and
technology.

We have been (NFB) looking at this seriously for a couple of years and
trying to get in front of it. It is exploding very rapidly.

Carrie Gilmer, President
A Division of the National Federation of the Blind
NFB National Center: 410-659-9314
Home Phone: 763-784-8590
carrie.gilmer at gmail.com
www.nfb.org/nopbc