[blindkid] feeding questions

Jason Fayre jfayre at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 22:03:27 UTC 2009

Hello list,
My wife and I adopted our son from India back in November of last
year.  For the most part, things are going great!
I do have one question that I'm hoping someone on this list can help
us out with.  In the orphanage, our son was fed all the time.  I
should say that he is almost 6 years old now.  He is now at the point
where he will bring the spoon to his mouth after we scoop the food
onto the spoon for him.  We do this while holding his hand and showing
him the motion of scooping the food.
The problem is that we are not sure how to get beyond this.  He will
reach for your hand if he wants more food.  I'm fairly sure he
understands the motion required, but he is still relying on us to do
it for him.  I don't want to deny him food, so I'm not really sure how
to proceed.
He is now in preschool, and they have been great!  Unfortunately,
since feeding himself isn't a skill that is"needed" for school, the
ocupational therapist at the school won't be working with him on that
skill.
Any suggestions?