[blindkid] Putting pressure on the school district

Andy & Sally Thomas andysally at comcast.net
Tue Mar 17 18:01:34 UTC 2009

Karen,

I'd also like to share what happened to my son, who has congenital glaucoma.
His doctors were very confident that they could do everything for him.  He
had an increase in eye pressure so they recommended a trabeculectomy to
reduce the pressure.  This is generally very straight forward surgery.  In
my son's case there were some difficulties and he ended up completely losing
the vision in that eye.  It was very unexpected.  I don't say this as a
scare tactic, just to let you know that there are many possible hazards with
"tricky" eyes.  We hadn't considered nonvisual techniques for our son
because the doctors were so confident that he would see well.  In some ways
it was fortunate that this happened when he was young so that braille has
always been part of his academics.  I think it was easier to include it
early rather than starting late.

Sally Thomas