[blindkid] Training Wheels or Not?

Merry-Noel Chamberlain lemonjuze at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 28 21:54:44 UTC 2009

Hi everyone,
My daughter, Ashleah, is ten-years-old and can see out of the corner of her eye about as far as her elbow.  I'm writing today to find out if I'm just being an overly protective mother.  (smile)  We've only had our daughter a year and a half as we've adopted her from China.  My mother got her a two-wheel bike (as she has done for all her grandchildren) and Ashleah has been riding it with training wheels.  My mother seems to think that now is the time to remove the training wheels.  I'm not so sure.  Ashleah doesn't ride her bike fast enough for the training wheels to leave the ground.  We've taken her to ride in large empty parking lots but mostly, she likes to ride it on the sidewalk trails of the local park.  She never goes real fast and she can see the contrast of the sidewalk and the grass edge.  She does use a helmet when she rides.  I can't remember at what age we removed the training wheels for our older daughter who is sighted
 (It's been at least 20 years when she was as young as her little sister.)  I'm just curious, what are your thoughts/experiences when it comes to training wheels for blind/very low vision children?

Merry-Noel Chamberlain - A TVI and O&M instructor but never have faced this before... :-)