[blindkid] Maps, etc.

Robert Jaquiss rjaquiss at earthlink.net
Thu May 7 04:53:08 UTC 2009

Hello:

     One big problem when dealing with maps is that there is no standard for
tactile maps. BANA is working on a standard for tactile graphics, but it
isn't out yet although it is getting close. The development of tactile
graphics standards have taken about thirteen years of research and study.
What this means for practical purposes is that every producer of maps has
their own standard. APH has one standard while the producers of state tests
might use other standards and the transcribers of textbooks yet something
else. The materials used for maps also dictate what sorts of symbols can be
used. Maps created with the collage method can have a far wider selection of
symbols than is possible when using a Tiger or Swell paper. My only
suggestion is to look at as many maps as possible.

Regards,

Robert Jaquiss