[blindkid] Conformer question?

Richard Holloway rholloway at gopbc.org
Fri May 15 03:43:31 UTC 2009

Absolutely true about the insurance concerns. In our case our
Ocularist is not a "preferred provider" so the part of the bill
insurance covers is greatly reduced. The problem is there is not a
preferred provider on our plan that works with kids in the entire
state. I don't recall how insurance deals with them differently but as
I recall, the outright cost of the painted shells themselves is about
5x that of the clear conformers (though other associated costs are
similar for things like EUA's and such).

As I thought I had mentioned before (though perhaps I forgot) we've
also had to have all these items initially fitted under anesthesia
though sometimes at least limited adjustments can be made once or
twice for a child's growth without having to go through another EUA.
In our case, the fit is never quite as good with a best guess
adjustment but it is a trade off that reduces the need for more
frequent use of anesthesia and the cost of starting from scratch. I
can't wait until we can begin to try to get an impression made without
anesthesia and in the Ocularist's office instead of dealing with the
hospital and an EUA but I think that is still a few years off...

It can be complicated and expensive but we feel it is well worth it
all given our particular situation.

Richard