[blindkid] conformers

Jessica Brown black22 at localnet.com
Thu May 28 00:07:46 UTC 2009

Hi Laurie,

My daughter was born with bilateral microphthalmia(small eyes) and is totally blind. She also had cysts which were removed when she was about 3 months. She didn't have to have conformers because the cysts had already made pockets for her prosthesis. She has had the prosthesis for almost 2 years. She is only 2 1/2. Her "eyes" are painted and some doctors that don't about her eye condition don't even know she has prothetics. They move just like our eyes move. The only thing is she doesn't have to blink as often.  We have to make regular visits to our ocularist too. At first it was about every 3 months to build them up but we haven't been in almost a year. She does great with them. And they stay in day and night.

We were told they would help her face form "normally" and I believe they have. We have seen lots of children without them and always wonder why they didn't have them.

Jessica