[blindkid] IEP and cane help needed

holly miller hollym12 at gmail.com
Fri May 29 18:46:29 UTC 2009

Oh Doreen, I feel your pain.

There is something in IDEA under related services about O&M for VI kids.
It's more of a definition of what O&M is, not who qualifies but it does
mention

(B) To use the long cane or a service animal to supplement visual travel
skills or as a tool for safely negotiating the
environment for children with no available travel vision;

http://www.wrightslaw.com/idea/law/idea.regs.subparta.pdf
scroll down to page 8, item 7

My son is in 2nd grade & has Albinism.  We are being blocked at every turn
by both the school and the Comission for the Blind on both braille and cane
usage.  For those who remember our saga, yes, we have finally retained a
lawyer.  Yes, the school knows that and no, it hasn't made them any more
cooperative.   I'm expecting we will have to go all the way to due process.

The district had been telling us he doesn't "qualify" to use a cane (he is
legally blind, 20/200 best corrected)

In April,  Carol was kind enough to lend us a cane & give us a demonstartion
(Carol, the one I ordered *finally* got here, I need to get yours back to
you!)   It's only been a few weeks and so far he only uses it when we go out
as a family but he's doing great with it.  We went to our towns little
carnival last week.  That's a situation where he'd normally have a death
grip on our hand.  Not only was he *not* holding our hands, I had to keep
telling him to slow down and wait for us because he was ranging so far
ahead.  Other places have been the same experience.  His confidence level
with the cane is amazing and he's actually seeing what's going on around him
instead of staring at his feet.  That's with no formal training.

Earlier this month, the CoB did an O&M evaluation that consisted of him
walking around the flat, dim hallways in the tiny school and up and down the
flat, perfectly maintained sidewalks outside the school, up and down yellow
painted curbs.  On a very cloudy, overcast day.  Nothing more challanging
than that.  She had him try walking with a 32" cane, he had lean over to get
it to touch the ground.  When she asked him if he liked using *that* cane,
he of course said no.  She knew we already had a cane at home, she
conveniently didn't ask him if he liked using that one...

So she wrote her report saying Hank is a confident, independent traveler.
That he doesn't like using a cane and using a cane would be detrimental to
him!!  Yes, in writing, it would be *bad* for him to use a cane. I wanted to
spit nails.  She didn't test him on anything that's difficult for him, she
didn't include any concerns I expressed about other travel conditions.  She
did however, write he's legally entitled to use a cane due to his level of
vision.  That's about the only thing positive in the report.  That he is
entitled to use one even if no one will train him on it.
I'm not giving up on the O&M issue, that's part of the package the lawyers
working on.  He honestly doesn't need a cane day to day at school but I will
be insisting at the very least, his IEP includes he be allowed to use it on
any future field trips.

If anyone does have the actual law that allows cane use by VI individuals,
I'd love to have that for my war chest binder.

Rock...crawling under it

Holly