[blindkid] Advice needed about school incident

Carrie Gilmer carrie.gilmer at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 21:03:54 UTC 2009

Something to think about too that I typically consider...
This could happen if your daughter was sighted too, in that something mean
or sometimes kids take something to tease or be mean when they think you are
not looking--or at lunch putting something INTO food~this is the historic
notoriety of school lunch rooms, same old same old~I realize that it is
likely they thought she would not know or "see" because of her blindness,
but if she were sighted and someone had done something to her like this
there would not be so much worry about her fragility in "handling"
it...likely whoever witnessed it would have said something and the kids
would have had to apologize on the spot...probably end of story and neither
you or the principal would have even heard of it...sometimes it is our
reaction in making it a bigger and more traumatic over sensitive deal than
it needs to be that can make things almost worse.

Hey someone was mean to Kendra, was it because they thought they could get
away with it cuz she could not see them?, they are wrong and IMO should be
disciplined matter-of factly, the school should also know that they can deal
with this...I mean it sounds like they were all so horrified and sensitive
they did not know what to do~and have had everyone in authority speak to
them~way more than if they had done something mean like this to soemone else
who they thought was not looking...why does the discipline need to be secret
and the child protected from the occurrence? To me that sends a message too,
and not a desirable one.

Carrie