[blindkid] NBP-Announce: Kids: Have You Filled a Bucket Today?

Tony Grima agrima at nbp.org
Thu Nov 5 10:37:39 UTC 2009

November 2009 Book Club Selection
Have You Filled a Bucket Today?
A Guide to Daily Happiness for Kids
by Carol McCloud
Print/Braille edition, $9.95
Ages 4-9

The book is one of the highest-ranking (sales-wise) children's book on
Amazon right now. It basically uses the metaphor of "filling a bucket"
to convey the simple lesson of "doing unto others, as you would want
done unto you." It reminds kids that they have the ability to "fill
someone's bucket up" by being or saying something nice, or just the
opposite. Kids find it easy to understand and employ. Schools have
embraced this idea to communicate respect and responsibility toward
others. It's won 7 children's book awards.

"I bought this book for my two grandsons, ages 5 and 3, when they
visited a few weeks ago. When I went to visit them last weekend, I was
thrilled to hear their mom and them constantly referring to "filling
someone's bucket." Both children understand that when you are being
nice, you are filling other's buckets, AS WELL as your own, and that
when being unkind, everyone's bucket gets emptied. I highly recommend
it!"
-- J. Hesford

"As a school counselor, I am always looking for ways to work with
students to help them understand how their acts of kindness not only
help others but help themselves. This is the first book I have come
across the does this in such a magnificent way. I have read this book to
all of our students in Kindergarten through fifth grade. I would highly
recommend this book for parents, teachers, and counselors."
-- J. Counselor, Western Wisconsin

"I was sucked into the whole bucket thing because the corresponding
program is what my elementary school is doing this year. We have the
posters throughout the school, the assemblies, and the books. But, when
it gets down to it, this simple little book packs a message that every
kid needs to know. Because, despite what we think, too many kids need
lessons in how to be kind."
-- E. Taylor, Utah

To order or read more about this book online, visit
http://www.nbp.org/ic/nbp/BC0911-BUCKET.html

******
To order any books, send payment to:
NBP, 88 St. Stephen Street, Boston, MA 02115-4302
Or call and charge it: toll-free (800) 548-7323 or (617) 266-6160 ext
20. Or order any of our books online at
http://www.nbp.org/ic/nbp/publications/index.html .