[blindkid] Advice needed about school incident

Richard Holloway rholloway at gopbc.org
Thu Nov 5 15:20:03 UTC 2009

I appreciate your feedback--

Your story is interesting, in particular the notion that a blind child
would possibly think that one grows into having vision, and especially
so since I have heard virtually the exact same thing from other adults
who were blind since birth. There is definitely a tale of caution
there. One never knows what a child (vision notwithstanding) is going
to assume. For the longest time (as a sighted young child) I had
reached the seemingly obvious conclusion that "white milk" came from
the predominantly white cows and chocolate milk from the brown or
black ones. It made total sense to me. I think I had even worked out
that cows with a good mixture of light and dark patches would dispense
both kinds, depending on the "spigot" used. I never really asked
anyone, I just intuitively "knew" this. Fortunately for me, there was
no longstanding impact from my misguided assumption in this case.

We never try to withhold information of that nature and we don't
withhold much of anything at all. In fact I can only recall
withholding things that seem not to be age appropriate except in that
we all (I would assume) sometimes try to give out information only as
quickly as our kids can process and deal with it at times-- For me,
this is generally related to knowing how things work-- Kendra wants a
full and complete understanding and sometimes it takes a while to
build enough foundation to get to the particulars of how a certain
machine might work, for example. Kendra would, I think, like to
understand a lot more about how and why electricity works sometimes
(especially as related to audio recording), but I have yet to work up
to a clear explanation of electrical theory for ANY first graders, so
that really has little to do with blindness-- How do I "adapt"
something that does not exist to begin with?

Thinking of not discussing the stolen food is the only thing I believe
we have given serious thought to avoiding and that was, again, mainly
because it was hard to see the benefit of her learning so far away
from the actual event. Besides, it is my nature to try and protect
anyone I know (child or adult) from hurtful things that are sometimes
said or done in life; something I have never quite worked out in life
in general.

Kendra absolutely knows it is respectable to be blind, though I guess
I tend to use the words "fine" or "okay" more. She understands that
some kids can see with their eyes and some cannot and the same is true
for adults and that is fine, just like some kids cannot hear with
their ears or walk with their legs. In fact one thing we have really
liked about her current and previous school is that some kids there
use walkers or wheel chairs-- things that Kendra can notice without
any intervention so SHE can initiate a question like why a classmate
us in a wheelchair.

I have not tended to focus on the ratio, but she knows for example
that she is the only child who cannot see with her eyes at school but
that at other places like the Center for the Visually Impaired, many
people there are blind an she sees sighted and blind kids away from
those places at times also. We remind her to use her cane "like Anil"
when she is not touching her cane back-and-forth as she knows Anil
Lewis quite well and that he is also blind. She is aware of the
distinctive sound that he as an NFB cane user makes as he travels so
it is a great reminder for her. (Sometimes her cane tends to "hover" a
few inches off the ground otherwise...)

We absolutely want Kendra to know not only that it is respectable to
be blind, but to grow up knowing successful blind adults that she
encounters just like any other "grown-ups" from time to time.

Richard