[blindkid] Bookport

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Wed Nov 11 15:34:29 UTC 2009

Actually, although the Victor Reader Stream is a *wonderful* device (I
carry mine everywhere), if your daughter expects to read a ton of texts
(as opposed to, say, NLS talking books or RFB&D books), she *may* find
the Book Port more useable in that its text-to-speech engine (a
dedicated DoubleTalk speech synthesizer) can read far more quickly while
staying intelligible than can either Samantha or Tom (the two VR Stream
American text-to-speech voices). So while in a number of ways, the Book
Port may seem superfluous, a number of blind folks still prefer it for
reading massive amounts of ASCII text. For my part, I can go either way
and while I still own and and glad to own a Book Port, I tend to just
take the Stream.

Mike Freeman, President
NFB of Washington