[blindkid] Facebook use for blind teenagers

David Andrews dandrews at visi.com
Thu Nov 12 04:52:48 UTC 2009

There are many blind persons who use Facebook, myself included, but
it isn't particularly friendly to us.

I haven't used thunder in a while, and know that it has improved,
however, in the past it wasn't that sophisticated, and might not have
the tools to deal with Facebook.  I don't know that for a fact, just
saying it is possible.  JAWS does work, not perfectly, but it
does.  You can use different voices with it, and most of us find that
the speech quality ultimately isn't the most important consideration,
but how controllable it is becomes the most important thing.

Some people find m.facebook.com easier to use, or lite.facebook.com

Another thing is that you can set things so that every time you post
something you don't have to use the CAPTCHA -- but it requires a cell
phone that can send a text message once.  It makes things much easier though.

Dave