[blindkid] School cane O/M issues

Carol Castellano carol_castellano at verizon.net
Sat Oct 17 21:55:28 UTC 2009

I will add an Amen to Richard's post.  I think "sighted guide" is
incredibly over used and overly venerated among many O&M
professionals.  It isn't rocket science and it isn't hard for the
blind person to learn.  It is a little harder for the sighted person,
as the main trick of it is avoiding walking the blind person into
poles and the like, as Richard notes.

I would avoid it.  And I DEFINITELY would avoid the O&M training the
teachers in it!  In my experience, once adults know that technique,
they use it because it's easier than waiting for the blind kid to get
places and figure places out.  But it is definitely NOT better for
the development of independence in the blind child!  Whenever someone
wants to teach it to Joli, I am sure she will learn it easily.  But I
wouldn't give it the importance of having it as an IEP goal.  (I'd
put in an independence goal instead :-).)

Carol

Carol Castellano, President
973-377-0976
carol_castellano at verizon.net