[blindkid] School cane O/M issues

SUSAN POLANSKY sepolansky at verizon.net
Tue Oct 20 01:44:29 UTC 2009

Lauren

I hope you can get this taken care of, you have recieved lots of good advise from the reponses on the list. I am concernced that the O&M teacher that your daughter has will not be much of an advocate for Joli to use her cane in school. Keep good documentation of EVERY THING. I know of one student in your school district whose parents had enough documentation to have the O&M removed and now that child recieves O&M by a teacher from Maryland School fot the Blind who Carroll County has contracted with to be the O&M teacher for this student. If you want you can email me off list and I will give you the contact info for other parents who have managed to get alterate O&M servises for their children in Carroll County.  If the O&M had the right attitude about cane use then it would be so much easier to get the classroom teachers to follow along.

Susan Polansky