[blindkid] IEP Document Accessibility

H. Field missheather at comcast.net
Mon Oct 19 23:26:36 UTC 2009

Hi Wendy,
It's likely that this programme keeps electronic copies of IEPs for
teacher use. However, there must be some in the school who have a
version that can produce copies.

All the IEP meetings I've ever been to require that the parents are
given a final copy of the IEP. Also, parents are required to sign the
IEP to show agreement. I don't believe it is legal not to give paper
copies to necessary parties. At worst, a paper copy could be scanned
into a Word document and someone could format it for brailing. As
blindness is a low incidence disability, it is likely that
Accessability will be a problem for some time. So, we need to make
schools realise that they have to find a way.

Regards,

Heather Field