[blindkid] O/M School Cane Issues

Eric Calhoun eric at pmpmail.com
Tue Oct 20 22:01:04 UTC 2009

I'd like to give a little perspective on the topic of o&m:

Many years ago, long before I heard of NFB and ACB, I was in second grade
at Victor Elementary School.  I was given a straight cane at age 7.  My
first cane was a "fishing" pole from camp, but, sadly, I gave that up.  I
would only use my straight cane for o&m lessons; the rest of the time, I'd
trail walls using the palm of my right hand or left hand.

As I got older, I realized that it might be a good idea to use a folding
cane.  So in 7th grade, it was suggested that Eric "have a cane of his
own."

I was oftenlooking for my cane, so in 1987, I started using a
"caneholder."  I recommend that Lauren and Doreen, your child should teach
your child use of a cane holder.  They can be found at any stores selling
supplies for the blind.  My cane holder is my godsend.  Without it,  I
would be terribly losing my cane!

Lauren, have you talked to mindy Lipsey, who lives close to you?  Mindy,
you and Lauren might be of help to each other.

On the subject of football games: i have my cane, parked at the right
side of my person.  It does not go under the bleachers, period.  My North
Torrance High Saxons appreciate my support of all football games.

No child should be without a cane.  When abschool district refuses to
have a child learn O&M, they are breaking the law, period, end of
discussion.  The same goes when a parent, such as Lauren, wants her child
to take her cane everywhere she goes.  Lauren, put this language in the
I.E.P., and mandate it, period, exclamation point, end of sentence.  It is
not your child's teacher's place, or mobility tearcher's place, as to what
Lauren does with her cane.  Don't be fooled by "blind" quackery; it's out
there!

Eric
Happy Halloween from Eric in Los Angeles!