[blindkid] O/M School Cane issues

Bonnie Lucas lucas.bonnie at gmail.com
Sat Oct 24 17:50:59 UTC 2009

My daughter, Aubrie, and I read your post and this is how both of us feel
about the diagonal method. First, neither of us learned it until recently.
We were not taught this technique by NFB folks. Though Aubrie's O&M
instructor encouraged her to use it inside, she chooses not to. In
discussing it, we both feel that it is not very reliable because you cannot
pick up things on the ground directly in front of you. Quite frankly, it
seems like a lazy way to use a cane because you just walk with the cane
being pushed off to the side. I'm sure that it was invented so that when
blind kids are traveling down a school hall, the sighted kids won't feel
like they have to get out of the way of a cane going back and forth. If you
are using the touch technique in a crowded area, putting your hand further
down the cane makes it shorter while at the same time allowing the cane
traveler to receive coverage on all fronts. To Aubrie and me, it's not
rocket science, just very obvious.

Bonnie