[blindkid] Talking typing Teacher

Gibbs, Emily egibbs at brazosportisd.net
Wed Sep 30 15:54:03 UTC 2009

A program like Talking typing teacher, or Talking Typer from APH, which
I believe is available through Quota funds, just teaches typing.   It
doesn't teach (or speak!) any of the computers menus outside of that
program.   It's a very good starting place for a child who doesn't know
the keyboard.   However depending on how often the child uses it, they
learn the keyboard very fast and then are ready to move on to bigger and
better things, like Word and the internet.   When that happens, they
need a screen reader like JAWS or Window Eyes.   In my experience,
children learn to type very quickly.   If your daughter uses this
program regularly, maybe 30 minutes a day, she will definitely be ready
to move on to doing more on the computer using a screen reader within
the first 9 weeks.

Emily Gibbs