[blindkid] Working on our technique!

Heather craney07 at rochester.rr.com
Mon Apr 12 04:20:50 UTC 2010

The technique you describe for stairs is what I was taught as a child and
used until I switched to a guide dog as a young adult.  Great job describing
it by the way, technically accurate and artistic to boot.  As long as the
beginning cane user gets it back out infront of them upon reaching the top
of the stairs, this is a very good grip and technique for asending stairs,
but not descending, of course, as that requires a different technique.  How
many times have I written the word technique?  *Nah, not going to count,
laughs*.  I used to do this and I have seen many younger blind kids come
charging up the stairs using this method, *ha, I didn't say technique, damn,
now I did, shrugs* only to slam into another kid on the landing, because
they didn't take the millisecond pause to reposition the cane to navigate
the landing for the next set of stairs or the hallway if there are no more
stairs.  There is a lot of momentum in a confident, exuberant child, blind
or sighted and powering up a flight of stairs increases this, so making sure
to reposition the grip and cane 's orientation to one's body is essential.
Have a nice evening all, I'm beyond tired and I'm going to bed.