[blindkid] get your kids their drivers permits!

Richard Holloway rholloway at gopbc.org
Mon Apr 12 06:28:08 UTC 2010

Computerized camera based systems can recognize an octagon or a
triangle or "see" the color of a sign or a light. Look what a knfb
reader can do with a cell phone as a computer to run the reader and
then think of a big, powerful computer instead. Still, more than that,
systems already exist which could easily transmit the state of the
lights to all cars for various uses. It may well be that we need
systems to be installed on the infrastructure end to make much of this
possible and that may seem prohibitively expensive, but if this sort
of thing were adapted in the mainstream, it could actually SAVE money.

I have seen demos on TV of systems now being tested where chains of
cars can (electronically) link up and drive really close together with
a computer keeping them from crashing and I have seen systems where an
embedded wire is used to guide the cars on the road. Combine GPS and
camera-based artificial intel. and infrastructure based things like
wire guidance, then factor in perhaps doubling (or more) the capacity
of many existing roads with the denser traffic and after that, think
of what could ultimately be automated from mail and package delivery
to trash pickup, pizza delivery, taxi service-- you name it.

Think of the potential to remove senile drivers, people on cell phones
or people busy texting from being a menace by letting a car drive
itself. I think the key for development is to first set aside the
notion of helping blind people get around (no matter how important
that is to all of us us). This is something that could help society in
general and when it starts to catch on, then it could really move
forward, THEN is when the blind can step in and reap the benefits from
existing or slightly modified systems.

If I pause and look back 5, 10, and 20 years at technology and I
observe what has happened, I find it hard to believe that 10 years
from now we would not be at least close to this becoming reality. (It
COULD be done MUCH faster.) I may be over optimistic and I'm not
telling this to my blind daughter for a long time (who will be 17
years old in 10 years), but I think there is an excellent chance that
as a young adult, she'll be able to add travel by a private vehicle
that she herself operates (or instructs)-- completely on her own-- to
the ways she gets around...

Richard