[blindkid] Working on our technique!

Richard Holloway rholloway at gopbc.org
Mon Apr 12 13:37:36 UTC 2010

I think that's the same tip. Many NFB / NOPBC people favor this as it
is actually the NFB's own design and it is a very good design as well.
Certainly there are cases where roller tips may be useful but they are
heavy and as Joe Cutter put it, they tend to "roll over" information
that the NFB-style tip would convey to the cane user. Another problem
many have with them is that the same thing that makes them roll over
helpful information also makes them roll off to one side and some kids
tend to leave them there when that happens.

As far as auditory feedback and information, you'd be hard pressed to
find anything that comes close to the NFB design-- that crisp, clear
click can reveal much about the environment. For a short time, our
daughter decided she did not like the NFB cane design. We let her use
something else because a cane in hand that is being used will always
be better than a cane left behind or dragged along behind a child.
Pretty soon she came back to an NFB cane. She was probably trying to
be like her O&M instructor who was using a heavier golf-grip, roller
tip cane as well as I recall. Ultimately, we got the instructor to
switch to an NFB cane instead; (we were very pleased with that!)

The main complaint I hear about the telescoping canes themselves has
already been mentioned-- they can collapse. They are a good travel
design though and an excellent choice for an easily stored backup
cane. Holly, you might want to try having a one-piece NFB cane on hand
for him as well as the "light saber" cane and perhaps he'll gradually
want to use the solid one more. One piece canes are lighter and also
offer more tactile information that especially folding canes (and even
telescoping ones) reduce or omit entirely-- vibrations bend the joints
and never make it to the user's hand. Folding canes make this worse
because the little bungee-style cord inside of the canes also further
dampens resonance (and adds a little more weight too).

I don't think my daughter cares yet, but I personally find that carbon
fiber feels a lot crisper than fiberglass. Strangely, the NFB canes
for kids seem to alternate between fiberglass & carbon fiber in
increasing lengths so right now, the size she needs is apparently only
offered in fiberglass. I could cut down a carbon fiber cane I suppose
but she'll "grow back into" carbon fiber pretty soon anyhow...

I do agree entirely that cane choice is ultimately a personal decision
though and the more options that are available, the better for each of
us. At conventions, I always find it interesting to compare as many
cannes as I can side-by-side just so I get a better feel of how they
work and the differences between them. After all, we tend to like what
we become accustomed to. You never know when something better may have
appeared in the marketplace that you may never have run across before!

Richard