[blindkid] Another semi-positive update

Marie empwrn at bellsouth.net
Thu Apr 22 11:18:34 UTC 2010

We had Jack's IEP meeting Monday. The LEA agent acknowledged that Jack's TVI
this year did not get anywhere near fulfilling her responsibilities. Jack
will receive O & M instruction and TVI services through at least the summer.
The much better much more knowledgeable O&M/TVI instructor who will be
working with Jack this summer has told us about a way to get her services
covered next year too rather than argue with the school district about it.

We have elected to keep Jack in preschool for another year rather than set
him up for frustration by sending him to kindergarten when he is not
developmentally ready. Because of that, the school district has said that
they will not provide services. We were  offered speech therapy but it would
have meant disrupting Jack's day by taking him out of his school and taking
him over to the local elementary school several times a week. We elected not
to do that.

I'm excited to see Jack grow and develop over the next year especially once
we actually get proper instruction in how we should be modifying the
environment to maximize Jack's learning.

Marie (mother of Jack, born May 2005)

Check out our blog at http://www.allaccesspasstojack.blogspot.com for
glimpses into our busy life with a boy who is busy growing and developing in
his own way in his own time